[plug] Linux External Modem

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Nov 29 22:28:07 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 22:06, Mike Holland wrote:
> Matt Carlsen wrote:
>
> > billion 5100 has worked well for me,
>
> Its a great modem. 4 ports, and only a few dollars more than the westnet
> one.

I'm reluctantly forced to agree - the Billion DSL modems appear to be
both dirt cheap and very reliable. To this day, I find this hard to deal
with ;-)

> >> It may be time to reconsider getting ADSL.  If you spend more than
>
> Definitely agreed! Its just a pity Telstra force you to keep the POTS line.

Well, the ADSL service _requires_ copper to the exchange, and one could
argue that the line rental covers line maintenance etc. I think the
price might be more than a tad steep myself, but aren't really hugely
fussed (perhaps because I have 1.5MBit ADSL, so the line rental doesn't
count for much compared to the DSL bill).

> >> If anyone knows a better deal, let me know.  I'm new to the area, but
> >> if you do the math, local calls around here add up.
>
> Westnet are not the cheapest, but they are good.

They're also pretty consistent. I've been with them for a while and
never thought "arrggh, that's a raw deal changing that like you have."
Sure, their website is plain awful, but you can't have everything I
suppose - and their website is probably the worst thing I can think of
about them.

--
Craig Ringer