[plug] HTML mail (partial flame and suggestions)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 1 18:39:04 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 17:59, Alex Nordstrom wrote:

>  - Most people who do sent HTML e-mails are not even aware that they are
> doing so; hence, any advantages it may be perceived to have are not
> used.

Others know just enough to set a horrifying background colour and an
awful font, without any understanding of the implications of doing so.

>  - HTML is a language to encode primarily structural information about
> hyperlinked documents inline, yet in e-mails, it is often used for
> formatting, which is not only incorrect application, but poses a
> usability threat to the recipient. Furthermore, there is rarely a need
> to encode structural information in something as brief as e-mail
> communication.

Sadly, if any lengthy content is involved the user will inevitably
attach a Word document, often feeling that having done this they need
not provide any body text at all.

Ooh, that's a lovely thought. I wonder how long it'll be before spammers
start sending Microsoft Word documents in emails with little or no body
text (nothing useful or descriptive, of course - perhaps just most of a
page of signature).

-------
Subject: Information

For your interest.