[plug] isa network cards

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Tue Oct 5 18:49:58 WST 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, quoth Ryan Smith:

> ampere:/home/ryan# modprobe ne
> /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/net/ne.o: init_module: No such device
> or address
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

The ne module does not autoprobe for the IO address, because it would
often poke devices that did not appreciate being poked, and would crash
the PC.  It only autoprobes when compiled into the kernel, because a crash
at boot (pre-init) is not as likely to cause data loss.

You will need to pass the module at least an io= parameter.
I've found most ne2k to live at or around 0x300, so try:

modprobe ne io=0x300

and if that fails go up and/or down in steps of 0x20

ie

modprobe ne io=0x280
modprobe ne io=0x260
modprobe ne io=0x320
modprobe ne io=0x340

Oh, and don't hold me liable if your computer crashes as described ;)

 - Matt