[plug] Network Monitoring

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 7 12:47:19 WST 2004

Aaron Devenny wrote:
[moved to bottom]
> [...]

[snip]

 > Ethereal is perfect if you are running X.  It will let you see
 > contents of packets etc in a nice GUI.  Ethereal also has a Win32
 > and Linux port, so you can use it on either OS.

Agreed, it's an invaluable tool. It's great for inspecting packets,
tracing tcp/ip connections, etc. It also has some nice tools like a
time/throughput graph and a tool to grab just the plain text of a TCP/IP
session.

A program called etherape can also be useful for network visualisaion.

 > If you want to go more hardcore, tcpdump is a CLI version of a packet
 > dump and a program called iptraf is also a nice ncurses based version
 > to view source/dest packets.  Usability of these programs depends on
 > how much detail  you want to see things in though.

Ethereal also has a good text version, tethereal, that I like a _lot_
more than tcpdump. It lets you use ethereal filters, and has much more
sensible default output IMO.

--
Craig Ringer