[plug] Debian Security Updates

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Fri Oct 8 12:37:09 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

>In message <4164B67B.8020707 at tigris.org>
>on Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 11:22:35AM +0800, Tim White wrote:
>

>>I'm running testing so my solution was to remove all servers but
>>security and then do an upgrade then place the other servers back
>>in. Works fine. Is there a more elegant solution?
>>

>I agree with Harry because at first glance, this doesn't seem to make
>sense to me either. Maybe you'd better post your /etc/apt/sources.list
>and /etc/apt/preferences! My understanding is that there basically
>aren't any security packages for testing because the updates are rolled
>into testing itself. So I, don't know what it is that you've installed,
>or from where!

My /etc/apt/sources.list contains the following lines as well as the
CD-ROM lines.
---
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
---
an apt-get upgrade will then download all the security updates from
stable and testing which keeps me secure without requiring a large
download. This is working fine for me (I think.)
Tim