[plug] Suse 9.1 post install issue...

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 22:30:55 WST 2004

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:01:25 +0800, Bernd Felsche
<bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au> wrote:
> "Senectus ." <senectus at gmail.com> writes:
>
> Can you do a CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a text console?

No it's a complete hardware lockup.

> Boot into "Failsafe" mode from the initial boot menu. If you can
> select stuff on the boot menu using the cursor keys and type stuff
> into the prompt space, then the keyboard is basically OK.
I did this and it loaded then locked up with the harddrive spinning,
caps lock light would go on and off at request but ctrl alt f2 etc and
ctrl alt del doesn't work at all.

> If the keyboard is "dead" in Failsafe, then reboot and add a "1"
> (digit one) to the prompt field after selecting Failsafe from the
> menu. Then press enter. The system will boot into single-user mode
> and prompt for the root password. If you can type that and have it
> accepted, then there's some sort of driver issue with the laptop.
Did this and it loads up and sits at the cli (with frame buffer looks
very pretty) but no key output at all.
 At this stage I'm beginning to feel that its a kernel thing, and that
the update I has made a change somewhere.

> Fill us in on the details of the hardware and we'll see if there's
> something gone wonky.
It's a thinkpad A31p

> Some laptops support external PS/2 keyboards. Most support USB
> keyboards. *Never* plug a PS/2 keyboard into a "live" system. If the
> problem persists, you may well be able to use an external keyboard
> to diagnose the system when the laptop's internal keyboard is
> unresponsive.
I never use external keyboards with this laptop ( I like the inbuilt
keyboard a lot ), and besides It doesn't have a PS/2  port.. only USB.
Its a dual boot Laptop and I don't have any issue's at all with the
winxp install so I'm 99.999% sure its not broken hardware.
Kind of odd actually because the "free" version I've installed in the
past on this machine never had this issue :-?

--
Nothing dies faster than a new idea in a closed mind.