[plug] dpkg/apt problem

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Oct 12 16:46:39 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 16:23, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <416A81ED.1030207 at tigris.org>
> on Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 08:51:57PM +0800, Tim White wrote:
> > E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
>
> I don't know if this is related, but I have one machine where I have the
> following line in my /etc/apt/apt.conf file: APT::Cache-Limit "9388608";

Some versions of apt can use the apt-conf.d setup, I'm not the one to
ask regarding which versions or if/how the two mix.  All my systems have
it like this so I ended up making an RTFM entry in RT (at work) I have
to do this so often.

I don't know where the number below came from - probably some post
google trawled on the matter :)

*click click*

--

SYMPTOMS
When performing an apt-get upgrade, an error reporting "Dynamic MMap ran

CAUSE
apt-get has a fixed sized cache. With the growing size of the unstable
distribution, the package list can be too large for the cache.

RESOLUTION
Create the file:

  /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00cache

With the following contents: