[plug] Apt-get g++

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 12 17:45:27 WST 2004

In message <416BA18E.6000401 at tigris.org>
on Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 05:19:10PM +0800, Tim White wrote:
> It is going to remove 'modutils'

By the way, I have no comment to make about this because it is outside
my knowledge, but I am assuming in the first case that it is some form
of conflict that arises from the mixture of woody and sarge on your
machine. (E.g. the version of modutils on your computer might be
incompatible with another package in sarge, hence modutils will be
removed to that you can install g++ from sarge. You should instead
install g++ from woody. Pinning should take care of this for you.)
One you have set up pinning, you will find that this:

# apt-get install blah

will install the version from woody (not sarge). If you wish to install
the version from sarge, you'd do:

# apt-get install blah/testing

The problem with this is that it may depend on packages from sarge. If
so, you can ask that apt do dependency resolution with sarge, like this:

# apt-get -t testing install blah

(The -t form is perhaps the one you should use by default, but I like
the logical convenience of the /testing notation.) Also, I suppose you
could solve your g++ problem without pinning:

# apt-get -t stable install g++

However, I would recommend that you use pinning so that APT prefers
woody by default.