[plug] Massively cheaper 512/512 ADSL plans

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Oct 13 09:42:08 WST 2004

ArachNet, since 01 Oct, have a 512/512 ADSL plan for $77 a month including
12GB (plus, natch, free WAIX). That was not a typoe, 512kb/512kb _not_
512kb/128kb. If you're hosting stuff at home, this is difficult to beat.

You also get up to 10 spam-filtered blah at arach.net.au email addresses and 20MB
of web space at http://www.arach.net.au/~blah with a static IP and no port
filtering.

    http://www.arach.net.au/products/broadband/adsl/duo/

If you like this plan and switch to ArachNet, tell them I (account "brooks")
referred you. They'll give me $11 off my bill for that month - which I'll
donate to PLUG.

If you belong to another ISP and don't want to switch, I guess you can try
bugging them about it. I notice that WestNet have dropped their equivalent
plan to $99 since a few months ago, maybe they can be nudged even more? (-:

If you sign up with WestNet, do it through LinuxIT (www.linuxit.com.au/). When
I'm offering customers ADSL choices, I generally offer ArachNet 'coz they're
small enough to care but large enough to survive, give good customer service
and are more flexible than the larger ISPs, then WestNet 'coz for a larger
ISP their customer service is outstanding. Going through LinuxIT gives you a
bonus Scott and Matt in the mix.

For more broadband prices, try: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/ - which hasn't yet
caught up to ArachNet (note that the price of this plan dropped $44!). In the
sub-$100 512/512 range they list ZCTS (who appear to be in or near Bunbury,
not sure what "preselect" is, maybe it combines with their 'phone plans),
Spin, SwiftDSL, CyberLink and Jazinet. Most of whom I've never heard of.

Cheers; Leon