[plug] rpm's for diff platforms?

bwarff bwarff at obsidian.com.au
Wed Oct 13 12:47:44 WST 2004

> Very informative thanks.. :-)
> So just out of interest.. why is it Gentoo handles dependencies so
> damn well yet RPM which has been around so much longer and has a
> larger user base does not?
> or is it not fair to compare them....

there are various reasons, and they get pretty complicated.
in essence .. gentoo assumes a net connection, it assumes a c compiler,
and it assumes your not going to sue it if something changes that breaks
your existing setup.

rpm doesnt assume the net will be there, it doesnt assume it can compile stuff,
and it most certainly doesnt assume it can change everything and break your
existing setup cause rpm is intended for running corporate/business machines
which tend to get setup once to a known configuration, and many many meetings
and testings are done before things get upgraded.

> I managed to find evolution 2.0.1 for fedora (because suse doesn't
> have an rpm of it believe it or not 0.o) and there are 20 something
> dependencies I have to go and find to make it work.. what are the
> chances that I will have to find dependencies for some of the
> dependencies? *shudder*

evo 2.0 requires gnome 2.8 ... those 20 odd dependancies pretty much are gnome 2.8

if i where you, I wouldnt use Suse .. its aimed at being  stable business
distribution -its priority is that nothing breaks, so its slow at making changes
 you would be better with one of the "bleeding edge" distro's like fedora/mandrake/debian unstable/gentoo