[plug] USB Printer Not Working

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Wed Oct 13 15:27:09 WST 2004

I have a Lexmark X73 multifunction center. It is detected as a USB hub
with 2 devices (Scanner and Printer) and the printer is asigned to
/dev/usb/lp0 (as far as I can see)
The messages I get when it is plugged in are:
---
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2
hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-1:1.0: 2 ports detected
usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device using address 3
usb 1-1.2: new full speed USB device using address 4
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 0
alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x043D pid 0x0014
---
And `usbview` shows it as a printer.
I have set it up using cups and the foomatic driver, "Lexmark X73 drv_z42"
When I print to it nothing happens and if I go to complete jobs under
http://localhost:631 it shows the jobs as aborted.
---
X73-14       Test Page       root       218k        aborted
---
The status is "idle and accepting jobs" even when the printer is
disconnected (physically)
I'm don't know whats gone wrong. I've only ever used network and
parallel port printers under linux so I may have missed something.
Tim