[plug] Preferred mail scanning system?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 13 22:49:52 WST 2004

Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
>	- can quarantine attachments with select file extensions
>	- can quarantine attachments with select MIME types
>	- doesn't send out "virus detected" mail
>	- can pass messages on to a virus scanner then a spam filter
>	- can quarantine messages _before_ passing to the virus scanner

>The main names I hear coming up are amavisd-new, amavis-ng, mailscanner,
>and of course MimeDefang. I was hoping folks here could offer some
>opinions on experiences with the various ones they've used.

Amavis would be top of my charts. The commercial AntiVir version works
well as a content filter with postfix. I have it running that way at
one "site" (actually a number of servers throughout Australia).

The content filter works with its own TCP "backdoor" port and I
suspect that you could plumb another process in the middle for spam
filtering.

>I'm looking to minimise the number of processes that must be started for
>each mail delivery, so I'm really looking for something that talks LMTP
>or plugs straight in to postfix. Final delivery to Cyrus will need to
>happen over LTMP, so things that call out to procmail etc are no good to
>me. Support for bypassing SpamAssassin for some senders would be a
>bonus. Alternative, more efficient spam filter recommendations will also
>be welcomed.

The anti-virus and anti-spam scanners all seem to require one
instance per message. That's the simple method of implementation and
intuitively; the most secure.