[plug] Distro's and packages...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 14 12:21:34 WST 2004

garry wrote:
> Senectus . wrote:
>
>> Which of the rpm based distro's would have the most diverse and up to
>> date application repository's ? (mandrake maybe? its number one on the
>> distrowatch lists... for what ever that indicates)
>> Actually scratch that.. it doesn't need to be rpm.. ANY of the
>> distro's with a package management tool.
>>
> I'd guess it'd be between Debian unstable and Gentoo.

I'd argue that FC3 (in late testing now) is likely to be considerably
more up to date than Sarge, though of course not Gentoo. This is
especially the case for things like GUI environments.

As for package management tool - I can't think of any without one. I can
only think of one distro without (as far as I know) some form of tool
for remote repositories and automatic dependency resolution - Slackware.

If you're looking for a good collection of 3rd party repositories, then
sure your choices are more limited. Appropriate tools are present in
most distros, but the support for the distro by various software
packagers will be much more variable.

Now, to continue working on that RH8->Debian live server upgrade...

--
Craig Ringer