KDE Desktop [plug] X forwarding SOLVED

Russ Powers russ at powerstech.com
Thu Oct 14 16:07:09 WST 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 02:47 pm, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
> > Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> >> Now when I try to do it the screen goes up so I lose my whole screen.
> >> Like it loads the kde off the server and it scrolls the screen up and
> >> I lose everything.
> >
> > Do you mean something like this:
> >
> > "I pressed CTL-ALT-F1 to get a console and logged in. I ran 'startkde'
> > and a bunch of text scrolled up the screen, but nothing else happened.
> > The text started with 'blah' and the last few lines were 'blah'. I can
> > provide the full text if requested."
> >
> > ?
>
> I pressed CTL-ALT-F1 and it went to console and blurted I didn't even
> have time to type anything.  It was a constant barrage of the same words.

Try CTRL-ALT-F2 or F3 or F4.

I think what you're seeing are the error messages from the last attempt to
startx. When you run startx from term 1, your view switches to the X in F7 or
F8 but your error messages still come up in F1 (the first terminal window).

If you CTRL-ALT-F7 or F8 and then press CTL-ALT-Backspace, it will kill X and
the term will stop displaying error messages. If you already had X running,
the original working X would most likely be in F7 and the failed X it should
be in F8. If you've tried a couple of times, check F9 too. ;)

> [...]
> something when you don't know whats important and whats not.  I pasted
> the exact commands I used for that reason.
>
> > Giving better descriptions also improves the chance of somebody spending
> > their time to try to help you instead of deciding you can't be bothered
> > putting the effort in, so neither can they.
>
> I do agree.
>
> > So what happens when you try to just run the X server (run "X :1")? I'm
> > assuming here that you're working from another computer that does not
> > crash when you start a second X server.
>
> On which computer my physical one or the remote one??? Sorry I'm
> confused now.
>
> > You need to confirm that you can start an X server successfully, as I
> > said earlier. There is no point in wasting time trying to get remote
> > stuff working when there is a local problem. Confirm that you can run
> > the X server, and only then try the remote stuff. If you have to run the
> > X server as root, try that but be aware that you may have to do extra
> > work to get ssh's authentication to work.
>
> On my local computer being the physical one I'm touching I can run kde
> and all of that fine.  In fact its a debian box and I log straight into
> kdm then use kde3.
>
> On the remote machine I'm assuming I can if I can startkde with a
> separate command apart from the fact that the screen goes up.
>
> >> if I run it on the server after I have ssh'ed into it I get the Pam
> >> error I got before since I didn't know which one you meant I tried
> >> both so as to discount a potential stuff upon my side.
> >
> > "run from existing X session". Perhaps I should've said "Run from an
> > xterm running directly in your current local X session".
> >
> > You need to fix your problems with starting an X server before
> > proceeding. Check out your PAM configuration, try running one as root,
> > and do a bit of searching to find out how to get it working on your
> > distro. The same thing goes for running Xnest remotely - try just
> > ssh'ing out and running 'Xnest', make sure that works before trying it
> > with startx.
>
> Yeah unfortunately I think thats where the issue is with pam since I
> can't log in as root to run it although I can if I log in then change to
> root using:
>
> $ su -
>

> One last thing that I've tried and works well sorta works is I ssh into
> the server type the following command as a normal user.
> $vncserver
> A server then comes up I log in using my local machine using vncviewer
> and then in the xterm I type
> $startkde
> And kde comes up albeit I'm missing the taskbar at the bottom and things
> like that but it comes up no errors.
>
> So I think I'm missing something really simple if it does work but just
> the methodology of how it works???
>
> Anyways thanks for your help I'll scour around to see if I can solve
> that pam issue since I think that'll be the most amount of headache.

Regards,
Russ