[plug] XDMCP and GDM

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Thu Oct 14 21:28:18 WST 2004

I believe that the best way to access another computer remotely and
graphically is through XDMCP. I have an old computer that I wish to use
as an Xterminal for my main computer so that my little sister can use it
while I use it (seeing as it is normally wasting 90% of the CPU.
I am running Debian/Stable on the 'client' and Debian/Testing on the
'server.' The client is running gdm=2.2.5.5-2 and the server is running
gdm=2.6.0.4-1. This means that the client hasn't got the new themeable
gdm and so I can't find out how to start the XDMCP chooser. I have
enabled XDMCP on both machines and can connect from the server to the
client but not the other way due to me not being able to start the XDMCP
chooser. If I login and then run gdmchooser when I select a client it
exits without connecting.

Also how does XDMCP work? I understand that it runs all the applications
on the server but displays them on the client using the clients
hardware. So does this mean that it also uses the clients X config? And
if so should that mean glx (OpenGL) apps should work if the hardware
supports it and the drivers are installed?

Thanks
Tim