[plug] XDMCP and GDM

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 15 15:28:06 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 09:48, Tim White wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>

> >> If I login and then run gdmchooser when I select a client it exits
> >> without connecting.
> >

> > Rather than running GDM on the client, consider having it simply run
> >     X -query $MY_XDMCP_SERVER
> > on boot.
>
> As I need local X login as well I tried enabling a second server under
> GDM. It started and presented a nice gdm login from the server. Trying
> to login though just restarts the X server.
> Any ideas or Should I try starting a new server with out GDM?

Start with a single server. Drop to runlevel 3 and connect to the remote
XDMCP server manually using "X -query $REMOTE_XDMCP_SERVER". If that
works and you can log in, then I'd start looking into other options.

If you need local X as well, one option may be to run GDM with no local
X servers, and start an X server that does an "X -indirect localhost" or
"X -broadcast" to discover XDMCP servers. That way you get a nice
chooser you can use to log in. I think gdm will start the X server for
you that way, but I'm not sure as I've always let init do it instead.

--
Craig Ringer