[plug] Network cards - FullSpeed

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Sat Oct 16 12:10:22 WST 2004

I have a 3c59x network card that doesn't want to operate at full speed,
full duplex.
I have it compiled as a module for a 2.6.6 kernel and have used various
options to try and get it to work.
I have debug level at 3 and have tried the below options checking on the
switch to see if it is in full duplex.
options=12
options=13
options=0x204
as well as various combinations of full_duplex=1
I am not quite shore which I need, 100base-TX or 100base-FX. Ether Way I
can't get it to go to full duplex. I know that with a 2.4 kernel I had
it at full duplex full speed as I was getting VERY nice network speeds.
Any ideas?
Tim
p.s. One of my speed measurement tests is to put it under load by doing
numerous ping floods simulatneously and monitoring the speed. I only get
around 2.5Mb/s and I know that a 100Mb network is capable of more. When
I ping flood from another computer it gets at least 4Mb/s (BTW, that is
MegaBits, not bytes). So is a 100Mb network capable of going higher? It
is on a switch