[plug] ADSL plans

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Mon Oct 18 09:38:44 WST 2004

Just coming in the end of this thread regarding ADSL and the cost of fibre optic
throughout Perth.

All I can say is that we are being conned both by Telstra and Optus.

I have just returned from Mauritius (no comments) and one of the things that I
checked out was their computer infrastructure. Here are some interesting facts.

Mauritius is roughly the same size as the Perth metro area, although there are
fairly large tracts of farming country, mountainous areas and small villages
scattered all over the place. Most of the ground is very rocky. However, 95% of
houses have internet connections, 75% of the population is computer literate and
their standard connection is ADSL at 512 for about $100 per month roughly.

So, my point is, in a country like Australia not only can we afford to run fibre
  to every house in every major city and town, we really can't afford not to.

Alex