[plug] diagnostics disk wanted

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Mon Oct 18 12:57:38 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 12:09, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Hi, I have a dual boot machine that is starting to act flaky.  In
> windoze it powers off randomly - changed the PS out with no change.
> Under linux it runs faultlessly, with setiathome and compiling software
> at the same time, but for various reasons I am still not confident the
> hardware is not to blame so want to test further.
>
> I ve searched and there are a few hardware diagnostic disks out there
> but I no idea which does a good job.  Is there something like a liveCD
> chok full of hardware test diagnostics that someone can recommend?  I am
> in the process of getting cpu-burn and memtest going, but would also
> like disk tests, motherboard diagnostics and so on.
>
> BillK

Windows is a lot more fussy about hardware problems than Linux. What may
cause a BSOD under Windows if often ignored by Linux. I don't know what
would cause it to poweroff randomly but XP by default with restart and
write to the eventlog instead of performing a BSOD.

I had a machine here with a PSU that causes Windows machine to BSOD but
runs fine under Linux. Of course I *should* still replace it.

regards,

Chris