[plug] Getting processes to suspend and resume without controlling tty

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 19 15:42:40 WST 2004

In message <417483B4.6040507 at tigris.org>
on Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 11:02:12AM +0800, Tim White wrote:
> I want to be able to suspend/stop and process and resume/continue it at
> a later date without the controlling tty.

You should be able to find SIGSTOP and SIGCONT fairly easily. However,
your issue about "without the controlling TTY" is not clear. If the
apps are TTY-based, then use a product like GNU `screen` to manage some
persistent virtual terminal sessions. Otherwise, if you do not need
to view the output of the programme, you can just put the job into the
background and then 'disown' it. You can also look at nohup. You can
pause and resume such background processes at your whim using `kill`.