[plug] Apache vhost alias_module

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 17:25:06 WST 2004

On Tue, October 19, 2004 5:16 pm, Chris Caston said:
> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 17:10, James Devenish wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In message <1098150238.2856.18.camel at localhost>
>> on Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 09:43:58AM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
>> > apache 1.3.31-6 and  I have installed libapache-mod-dynvhost (0.9.6-1)
>> [...]
>> > Syntax error on line 187 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
>> > Invalid command '<Virtual', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
>> > not included in the server configuration
>>
>> Maybe you should post your httpd.conf (or the relevant module lines and
>> hosting lines, if you know how to identify them).
>>

> Thanks for some feedback James. I've removed apache2 now and put 1.3
> back in and reverted to the package maintainers httpd.conf. I got this
> during the install:
>
> Setting up apache (1.3.31-6) ...
> Error: mod_auth_vhost.so does not have a corresponding .info file.
> Error: 510mod_dynvhost.info does not have a valid LoadModule entry.
> The above errors might cause apache to not work properly or start
> Please refer to the documentation on how to fix it or report it to
> Debian Apache Mailing List <debian-apache at lists.debian.org> if in doubt
> on how to proceed
> Replacing config file /etc/apache/httpd.conf with new version
> Configuration syntax error detected. Not reloading.
>
> Syntax error on line 187 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command '<Virtual', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
> not included in the server configuration
> invoke-rc.d: initscript apache, action "start" failed.
>
> vi /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
>
>  187 <Virtual host>
>     188 ServerName localhost
>     189 DocumentRoot /var/www
>     190 </VirtualHost>

Hi Chris,

This isn't actually the relevant line.  You are getting the error on line
187 because apache doesn't know what to do with <Virtual due to the module
not being loaded.

Somewhere near the beginning of the file should be a load of lines
specifying which modules should be loaded.  It is likely that this is
where the problem is, and if the configuration utility isn't adding it you
should be able to add the line by hand.

Can you post that section?

--
Mark O'Shea