[plug] Hosting help

Paul Dean paul at thecave.ws
Tue Oct 19 20:58:12 WST 2004

Hya,

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Joong Cho wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to host my own two sites and the following are the files that I
> have configured.
>
> Under /etc/hosts:
>
> 127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain    localhost    joongcho
>
> 202.72.186.114    dns.joongcho.com
> 202.72.186.114    www.joongcho.com
> 202.72.186.114    www.startreklibrary.com
This file is ok if you want a faster IP resolution than from DNS or you
are not running a local DNS on your machine or network.

> Under /etc/resolv.conf I have the following:
>
> search
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
> dns.joongcho.com 202.72.186.114
> www.joongcho.com 202.72.186.114

Change this to:
search joongcho.com
nameserver 192.168.1.1

This is saying you have a DNS running in your LAN, is this true?
If not you will need to change the above IP to the correct DNS address.

> The IP Address of 202.72.186.114 will be my hosting address and the
> nameserver will be dns.joongcho.com. I have changed my domain name details
> accordingly, but it will still not work. I have also configured my apache2
> files to take in those two sites.
>
> Can anyone help me or what do I need to do further?
>
> Also, in regards to the log files, what permission settings does it need to
> have for it work as I cannot get those to work properly. They work fine
> under /var/log/apache2 but not under /home/joongcho/www_logs/. I have also
> added in the log directives inside the apache2 files.

Why do you need apache2 to write logs to you home dir?
Set the Errorlog and Customlog directives to some custom name, see the
default site example.