[plug] md5 mismatch

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Wed Oct 20 13:55:19 WST 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, quoth Jim Householder:

> According to its man page, rsync operates on sets of files rather than
> looking for differences in copies of a single file.

The manpage is perhaps not very clear.

The whole point of rsync over other file copy programs is that it uses
checksums to only copy changes between almost-identical files, so is great
for ISO images that perhaps only have a few bytes wrong.

> So does this mean that I need to mount the offending iso loopback?

No, just point it at the remote location and the local iso file.

> And how do I locate rsync mirrors?

Google finds a few

planetmirror also has rsync available via rsync.planetmirror.com

eg:

rsync -vP rsync.planetmirror.com::mandrake/10.1/iso/Mandrakelinux-10.1-Community-CD1.i586.iso /path/to/local/Mandrakelinux-10.1-Community-CD1.i586.iso

Regards,

 - Matt