[plug] lost interrupt & DMA timout error

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Oct 21 12:53:04 WST 2004

On 20 Oct 2004 17:27:35 +0800 Daniel <cottmain at plug.linux.org.au> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am not sure what causes the problem but I'm guessing I've got the
> .config file wrong for the kernel for an Intel 3ghz:
>
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=CDdump.iso && md5sum /dev/cdrom && md5sum CDdump.iso
> ide-cd: cmd 0x28 timed out
> hdb: DMA interrupt recovery
> hdb: lost interrupt
> hda: dma_timer_expirey: dma status == 0x61
> hda: DMA timeout error
>
> I've googled (some notes refer to older kernel options unavailable) and
> I've experimented with building with different options and only got
> different errors (think it was interrupt 7 on one).  Maybe I'm missing
> the obvious.
>
> Can anyone help please?

Hi Daniel

Unless you've received replies off-list my hardware hacking suggestion is
to relocate the second drive to IDE1 (so it becomes hdd or make it master
hdc) and see if the system behaves with the dd if and of on different IDE
cables. If it does start behaving you can start thinking about possible
issues with the m/b IDE controller hardware, interaction or limiting with
a slow and fast IDE HDD drive on the one cable, or if it really is a
driver issue. Changing your setup will need a tweak of /etc/fstab to
reflect the moved drive.

Some twiddling with hdparm may also reveal something (see the archives
for Graigs good descriptions about hdparm).

All the best
Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/