[plug] Text-mode table editor?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Oct 23 20:19:50 WST 2004

Hi,

Does anyone know of an free open-source UNIX text-terminal programme
for editing tabular data (i.e. tab-separated tables of plain text)? I'm
envisaging a curses/slang-based programme, but a modal editor would be
fine. Something which can align tabbed data in columns using a
designated display width and gracefully handle cell contents whose
length exceeds the designated display width. I find vim is not so great
for tabular data, and I don't particularly want to learn how to drive
emacs.