[plug] Keeping a running server clean

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Sun Oct 24 10:09:37 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In message <4179D57D.3040403 at tigris.org>
>on Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 11:52:29AM +0800, Tim White wrote:
>

>>I didn't find any that appeared to clean up stale locks, or /tmp.
>>

>With Linux, it is typical that /tmp only gets cleaned upon reboot. This
>is nice for desktop machines. In contact, some BSD operating systems
>clean /tmp regularly. Most people would not expect /tmp to be flushed on
>a regular basis, so what you have experienced is "normal". However,
>"stale locks" is not very explanatory. Is this a netware thing? I don't
>know anything about netware.

A stale lock is when a process has a file locked and then dies without
unlocking it. I haven't seen it happen under Linux yet buy it commonly
happens under windows and I have now also seen it under netware (5, 6
will run on a BSD Kernel)
I am going to hack up a little app to see if I can get it to happen
under Linux.
Do people know of a script to clean up /tmp? Obviously it should only
clean files not in use.
Tim

--
Tim White
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net