[plug] Keeping a running server clean

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Oct 24 10:43:12 WST 2004

In message <417B125B.3070204 at tigris.org>
on Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 10:24:27AM +0800, Tim White wrote:
> Netware server. Novel ring a bell? That's netware. Nothing to do with
> Linux until the next release.

Yes, I understand it's Novel Netware, but I have no experience with it.
Since this is the PLUG list, I assumed it was a Linux- or UNIX-related
question. I think you are saying that the Netware server runs with a BSD
kernel and has directories like /tmp and programmes like 'cron', but is
not Linux per se. So, if you want help with locking, it still sounds
like a bit of a mystery to me. I would presume that Netware uses
Windows-like locking mechanisms, but these are sometimes quite different
to what is found in UNIX. If Netware uses a custom BSD kernel, I think
you're going to have to look for Netware-specific information, not Linux
information. Hopefully those on this list who use Netware will read this
thread, but perhaps you should rename the subject to '[OT] Netware'.