[plug] Attempted Intrusions

bob bob at fots.org.au
Mon Oct 25 11:10:36 WST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:14 am, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> bob wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 03:28 pm, Leon Brooks wrote:
> >>Have it listen on another port. Security by obscurity, but it helps
> >> your odds by an order of magnitude.
> >
> > Yeah, stick it on port 23 - that'll confuse em :).
> >
> >>Cheers; Leon
>
> Do I just set that up through xinetd or do I have to actually change the
> conf file.
>
> I changed the conf file to port 23 however do I have any other editing
> to do??

Oh dear... sorry! I said 23 as a joke. (Its telnet's standard port). You
would probably find you had even more script kiddies banging on your door
if they thought you had an open telnet port.

Stick it on some random number where there isn't a "well known" service 2510
or some such. Browse through /etc/services for a list of what ports are
normaly assigned to services

HTH.

--
In our civilization, and under our republican form of government,
intelligence