[plug] Thunderbird - Excess Memory

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Oct 26 20:11:16 WST 2004

Tim White wrote:

> Could people running Thunderbird please give me some stats about there
> running system. What I am looking for is version, amount of mail (size)
> and how much memory/swap it is taking up.

I don't use Thunderbird myself but I pointed it at my IMAP server and
told it to fetch a bunch of folders for offline use.  Thunderbird
version is 0.8 from Debian.

$ du -s .mozilla-thunderbird
850008  .mozilla-thunderbird

Output from top:
  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  SWAP COMMAND
29470 cameron    9   0 69224  67m  20m S  0.0  6.7   3:41.07    8 mozilla-thunder

BTW the "swap" column in top can be misleading.  On my machine, free
reports that no swap is being used at all, yet top claims that X is
using 128m of swap...

Cameron.