[plug] linux in industry

Jacqueline McNally j-conversations at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Oct 27 10:47:38 WST 2004

Alex Polglaze wrote:
> I would like to try and get a handle, indicative only, of the number of
> businesses that are using Linux and the size of the commitment of others.

[snip]

Yes, it is difficult, particularly to get local or regional case
studies. I am always looking for OpenOffice.org testimonials and
migration stories.

For general trends, you may wish to read "Why Open Source Software /
Free Software (OSS/FS)? Look at the Numbers!" by David Wheeler. It was
updated at the end of last month, see:
http://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html

> The reason that I ask, is that I was in a meeting yesterday with an
> accountant and his whole attitude was that Linux was only for nerdy
> computer people and that no real business was done on Linux.
>
> I would like to shoot him down in flames.

I have met very few accountants that actually know how to maintain or
use their existing IT equipment, and even fewer that like spending money
:) As someone that used to support Paxus/Solution 6 products, it was a
delight to work with data operators who were comfortable with breaking
out into and hacking the code to get a tax return completed or financial
statements printed.

Most accountants in Australia are tied up with Solution 6, which now
together with the MYOB business is somewhat of a closed shop. They also
use a lot of applications that have hooks to the ATO and financial
institutions. So migrating an accountant is quite complex.

The people that you need to convince are the consultants, IT people and
software vendors that support accountants.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
Lead, OpenOffice.org Marketing Project

--
Try it, you'll like it. www.openoffice.org

"Make the most of yourself. Be daring. Above all, have fun".
     --Elsa Schiaparelli