[plug] public_html file permissions/cmask

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 29 07:41:31 WST 2004

In message <41816AA6.2080600 at tigris.org>
on Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 05:54:46AM +0800, Tim White wrote:
> Is there and easy way to make all files I created in public_html world
> readable with out having the chmod them. Is there also any easy way to
> make directorys world executable as well?

directorys -> directories

> I think it has something to do with masks but I'm not sure.

You are correct that, in general, the permissions of newly-created files
are limited by the "umask" setting. If you wish to force particular
permissions regardless of the umask, I'd suggest using ACLs, except that
ACLs are filesystem-dependent and need kernel support. Alternatively, if
the files are coming in via a network protocol such as SMB, your SMB
daemon may allow you to configure particular permissions. Alternatively,
if you are finding that the files are "group readable" but not "world
readable", you can change the group ownership to the web daemon's group,
and then set the group 'sticky bit' on each directory so that all files
created in the directory hierarchy will be in the web server's group
(and the web server can therefore read them).