[plug] public_html file permissions/cmask

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Fri Oct 29 08:31:36 WST 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:58, Onno Benschop wrote:

> Uhm, not sure what you are asking here, but this will set all the files
> in a directory (and all the directories below it) to world readable:
>
> 	chmod -R o+r *

I think what he's asking is how do you get it to automagically save with the
'right' permissions, rather than doing it manually.

It's something I've pondered and so far come to the conclusion that the basic
unix filesystem doesn't allow it.  I haven't really looked at ACLs.  It's not
that an important consideration for me personally but it would be nice to
know if it is possible.

An example:  my wife and I have a work directory.  We both create and modify
files in that directory - us being members of the Work group and all.  The
Work group has read, write and execute perms. When I create a file (say with
OOo) I have to manually change the group to Work so my wife can work on the
file.  This also happens sometimes when you modify the file too.  It would be
nice if you could assign a 'template' upon a directory and say everything
created or modified in this directory has the following perms and group
ownership.  That's probably a gaping security hole, but it sure would be
convenient - yes they're usually mutually exclusive.

Anyone have a solution?

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

First rule of public speaking.
	First, tell 'em what you're goin' to tell 'em;
	then tell 'em;
	then tell 'em what you've tole 'em.

Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/