Munged post. :: [plug] linux in industry

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 15:33:10 WST 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:16:39 +0800, Milan Pospisil <pospim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:26:56 +0800 (WST), Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:
> >snip<
> > And, a knoppix CD is useful to
> > demonstrate (and to test for hardware compatibility), without affecting
> > the existing system.
> >snip<
>
> Demonstrate - yes, indeed. To test for hardware compatibility - well,
> this is a bit tricky,IMHO.
> True, it will not effect the existing system, but Knoppix  has been
> designed to cover a wide variety of hardware which may not necessarily
> be the case for another Linux OS you want to install after you have
> tested for Linux compatibility using Knoppix. Take for example this
> scenario: NF7 mobo, MX440 graphic card and the rest of the machine
> generic hardware. Put Knoppix in(DVD or hard disc) and it will do its
> job, no problems. Try to install Mandrake10.0 on the same machine and
> all that old Mandrake-nVidia issue start sticking  its ugly head out
> again and you have lot of fun in front of you, if not a lot of PITA.
> Well, that's my experience, anyway. I guess I had to learn the hard
> way...
>                                Regards
>                                               Milan Pospisil

Only slightly unrelated but still relevant.
The last two days we've been using RIS to rebuild a site with winXP,
one of the machines was a Dell laptop with wide screen etc..
Anyway on that PC the RIS install couldn't figure out what the video
card was so it loaded crap drivers.. the way we figured out what the
chip set was, was to stick in a knoppix disk and it told us in very
clear and precise terms that it was a FX 5200 GO, so then we went  and
got down the correct drivers..
It's interesting that we need to use Linux to find out the chip set of
a new piece of hardware because windows didn't know what it was, for
me it highlighted the fact that open code is a LOT faster in keeping
up with the rapid changes in the IT industry...

--
" So let us then try to climb the mountain, not by stepping on what is
below us, but to pull us up at what is above us, for my part at the