[plug] Suggestion for web site

Margo Adams margo at ozjokes.com
Wed Sep 1 08:50:41 WST 2004

Cameron Patrick wrote:

>Margo Adams wrote:
>

>>Just to c;arify, adding a db to a site certainly doesn't mean every
>>single page is drawn from it or generated.
>>

>Sure, no worries :-)  I just get nervous though when people think that
>a web site with a database will solve all of the world's problems
>without thinking through how exactly the database should be used or
>what the alternatives are.
>
>For example, the PLUG Installfest rego page put everyone's details
>into a database -- but we never wrote anything to get the data back
>out again afterwards ;-) and the reminder e-mails ended up being
>filled out by hand by Bernard.
>
>There are a couple of areas where the PLUG site could do with a
>database -- our membership list is currently kept as a text file on
>the PLUG server and edited by hand when people join up, which is a
>lousy way to do thigns; and our library catalogue (when we get it
>catalogued!) also cries out for being database-driven.
>
>If anyone thinks that these sound like fun projects to fill in an
>otherwise dull weekend :-) then let me know...
>
>Cameron.

Cameron :)

This sounds weird but I'd be happy to help. I've done several db
websites where some data is manual some is drawn from a db.

Regarding the magazines, instead of particular newsagents, why not a
list of magazines that are available "somewhere" in Perth? Part of the
detail could be newsagents where they've been found.

eg:

Mag Title
Published: monthly/quarterly
Rating: /5