[plug] [rant] 2.6 Kernels

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Wed Sep 1 16:40:28 WST 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 04:16:34PM +0800, Michael Collard wrote:
> With the number of bugs, its resembling something that Microsoft make.

Hey... let's not get nasty  :)

> the kernel has stability problems with nvidia drivers causing lockups
> etc.

Are you running the most recent nvidia drivers?  There were some issues
with earlier versions, but nvidia has fixed these.  Of course, if nvidia
had released code for their drivers, I'm sure they would have been fixed
long before then  :)

> So far the least broken kernel I've found is 2.6.8.0-rc2 which only has
> one of the problems mentioned above. More or less just wanted to give
> all the pluggers a warning about recent 2.6 kernels, don't want other
> people to go through what I've been through.

I have to say I'm in the "concerned" camp with regard to the way the
linux kernel is now being developed.  Without stable/unstable branching,
I just don't see how we're going to ensure that end users get a usable
product.  At this point, the idea seems to be to leave this to the
distros, who will pick and choose stable patches, rather than simply
moving through the kernel versions as they are released.

As a final point, I'll add that 2.4 is still quite enough for most
people at this point, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

--
 Leon Blackwell                | There are only 10 types of people in
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | the world; those who understand binary