[plug] [rant] 2.6 Kernels

Michael Collard quadfour at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 1 17:19:08 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 17:10, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> I think you need to restrict that to either a case by case or distro
> (which distro are u talking about?) basis - 2.6.8 seems fine under
> gentoo (i.e., its got some patches and fixes in it)

I am using Mandrake but its not distro specific rant. These problems are
in the vanilla code, if Gentoo applies (questionable) patches, thats
great, same for any other distribution. That isn't taking away from the
fact that a vanilla 2.6 kernel right now is pretty poor (general quality
wise). Right now with 2.6.8.1, my logs almost fill up with oopses and
rebooting is a gamble.

I don't recall having this quantity of problems with the 2.4 tree.

Regards
Michael Collard