plug at plug policy issues [was: Re: [plug] [rant] 2.6 Kernels]

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 1 17:30:24 WST 2004

In message <200409011717.40903.alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au>
on Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 05:17:40PM +0800, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> (Apologies to James for causing you extra work; I'm generally used to
> lists which are open for all without approval needed for
> non-subscribers and saw no indication of plug's MO being different.
> Should be fixed now.

[ Thanks for that. I had begun preparing the following e-mail off-list,
but will send it on-list now that you have raised it :-P ]

I'm pretty sure I had a look your Mailman subscription options last
time, and saw that the 'nodupes' flag was set for you. This means that
if people send CCs to you, Mailman will graciously suppress the list
copy (you will receive the e-mail only once). I like this feature, as I
have personally always disliked being the recipient duplicate copies.
[Sound effect: lots of hissing at the PINE e-mail client.]

On the topic of whether PLUG's MO is indicated, I was under the
impression that the list server would have been sending you e-mails
saying "your message has been held for approval". The reason for this
approval process to filter out all the SPAM (sometimes we get so much
that the administrative web page falters due to HTTP timeouts).

As for whether it is any trouble for me, well, there are nominally two
other plug at plug administrators with whom I share the load. Right, Craig?
;-)