[plug] What's "too much work at interrupt"?

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Tue Sep 7 14:46:21 WST 2004

Hi Bernd

If you find out, let me know. I have the same problems with a Via EPIA-V
mini-ITX motherboard with via-rhine ethernet and VT8231 southbridge chips.

Mine seems to be a fault in the interrupt hardware system somewhere, as it
also affects my IDE controller which won't go into DMA mode at all, no matter
what I do with configuration or drivers. The kernel thinks DMA is enabled, so
does the IDE driver, the drive reports udma5 mode, but it's NOT :-(

There appears to be two possible reasons for the 'Too much work at interrupt'
message: either the driver has a problem and can't process interrupts fast
enough, or some other process is holding up interrupt handling to the point
that interrupts are handled too late and data is lost.

For what it's worth, I upgraded my kernel from 2.4.22 to 2.6.8 yesterday, and
it made no difference at all, to either IDE or ethernet :-(

Sorry, that's not much help, is it :-)

Steve

--
Ph: +61 8 97560662, IP-Phone: FWD# 454566, e164.org# 61897560662

"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves
up and continue on as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill