[plug] error messages re CPU faults...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Sep 7 15:32:53 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 14:55, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <6.0.3.0.1.20040902220129.01fe3458 at mail.westnet.com.au>
> on Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 10:07:10PM +0800, Aesop Beetlebum wrote:
> > " Casper kernel: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident
> > occurred on CPU 0"
>
> It is the sort of message that is reminiscent of error-correcting RAM
> errors, but it does not contain the information I would expect from such
> a fault.

I've seen that warning after a CPU fan failed on one of my systems and
the CPU overheated.

It's also worth nothing that "underclocking" is far from 100% safe
either. You need the right CPU voltage, for one thing. Just because
you're not overclocking doesn't mean that you can't have problems caused
by changing the CPU clock rate.

--
Craig Ringer