[plug] MySQL performance tuning

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Sep 8 01:12:55 WST 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Jon  Miller wrote:

> We are having a problem with our database in that when several users are accessing it and a report is being run it slows the network down immensely.  When running top to check I can see that the mysqld-max uses up to 99.9% CPU and about 1-2% memory.  The queries are accessing database tables in the range of 3-300MB sizes.  The server itself is a dual Xeon 2.8GHz Hyperthreading  with 2GB memory and about 200GB of free space on the partition of the database.  We have about 25 users accessing the database and plan to have about twice that in the neat future.
> This is our config file, are there settings that can be tweaked to use more memory and less CPU?
>
> The entire system runs on a 2GB backbone with w/ full duplex 100Mbps switch to each workstation.  Unfortunately the user workstations are WXPPSP1 and W2KSP4.  They access the database via a VB front-end client-server design.
>
> Thanks

Jon - have you considered joining the relevant MySQL mailing list(s) and
posting the query there?

Your query appears fairly specific to MySQL, and I have, from memory,
seen similar queries raised and answered on the PostgreSQL lists, so,
posting your query to the relevant MySQL list(s), should be more useful,
as you should get MySQL guru's there, dealing with your query.

If you are interested, the MySQL lists, are listed at
http://lists.mysql.com .

--
Bret Busby
Armadale