[plug] Wake-on-Lan

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Sep 8 16:24:20 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 16:12, James Budworth wrote:
> I recently upgraded my motherboard to an Abit AI7.
>
> This board has intergrated network so I thought I'd finally think about
> setting up wake-on-lan.
>
> I gave it a quick test but it doesn't seem to work.
>
> The motherboard chipset is an RTL8139 as far as I can tell from the
> documentation (I'll take a closer look at the board tonight). I also made
> sure to enable wake-on-lan in the bios, but no joy.
>
> Any suggestions?

Well are you using etherwake or some other tool?

You do need to specify the MAC address of the machine you wish to WOL.

As a humourous side note I once (a few years ago) managed to warp a pci
slot slightly on a PIII machine. The machine was running Windows 98 and
it was plugged into a new XP machine with a cross-over cable. For some
reason shutting down the 98 machine (with the warped pci slot) would
wake up the XP machine.

very strange indeed.

regards,

Chris Caston