[plug] 2.6 Kernels

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Wed Sep 8 19:00:01 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 11:59 -0400, Tim White wrote:
> Ok. After reading lots about the 2.6 kernel having bugs I am a bit wary
> to upgrade.
> Basically all I want to be able to do is use my computer the same as I
> do now.
> I want to be able to burn cds, listen to music, play opengl games using
> my TNT 2, print, program, etc..
> What would be the best kernel version to use? I am think 2.6.8-1, I am
> currently running 2.4.23-xfs so I know that I will also need to get Alsa.
> Tim

I must say i've found the talk of all these problems in 2.6.x blown way
out of proportion. I've been using 2.6 ever since it was 2.5 havent had
any problems other than the odd rc-mm patch which simply wont compile
some drivers. Currently on my laptop I am running with 2.6.9-rc1-mm4 and
my workstation at the office is running 2.6.8.1-mm4 with no issues at
all on either.

Most of the problems ive seen people bitching about have quite well
documented fixes on out there, people just dont seem to know how to use
google apparently.

But then I suppose thats human nature, those that have it working dont
say anything and keep on going while those few with problems make lots
of noise.

Adam