mail-list vs news, was Re: [plug] Looks like the LCA DVD is out.

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 10 10:55:53 WST 2004

In message <Pine.LNX.4.58.0409101031510.28361 at ob.localnet>
on Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 10:43:10AM +0800, Michael Holland wrote:
> Whats the difference?

With an online newsreader, you don't have to download all the message
bodies. However, of course, we have web archives for that anyway. I
certainly do like the idea of having an NNTP server for PLUG, but I also
believe that the small size of PLUG means that we don't benefit from
fine-grained group demarcations. So, a one-list NNTP server is not much
better than the web archives. Perhaps its only advantage (over the web
archives) would be integration of the reply mechanism with your regular
news/mail client(s).