mail-list vs news, was Re: [plug] Looks like the LCA DVD is out.

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Fri Sep 10 15:39:54 WST 2004

On Friday, 10 Sep 2004 14:39, Joel Johnson wrote:
> > You mean to tell us in 2004 there are MUAs that are incapable of
> > threading?
> Well, unfortunately, not all of us get to work in a full Linux
> environment. We make do with what we have.

My sympathies. There are, however, many good, list-capable alternatives
for those stuck with Microsoft Windows, even if you don't have access
to a shell account on a proper computer.

There's mutt under cygwin:
http://ku.wru.umt.edu/mirrors/guckes.net/mutt/windows.php3.html

There is also a port of mutt for 32-bit, although it apparently hasn't
been updated in a couple of years:
http://www.geocities.com/win32mutt/win32.html

Unixmail for Windows bring you mutt and several other powerful tools all
nicely bundled up:
http://unixmail-w32.sourceforge.net/

gnus should also work under Windows:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

Mozilla Thunderbird also has some limited list handling ability:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/