mail-list vs news, was Re: [plug] Looks like the LCA DVD is out.

Joel Johnson jjohnson at westnet.com.au
Fri Sep 10 17:39:49 WST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Devenish" <devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au>
> Interesting...how would you intend to read NNTP articles? Are you
> implying that OE *will* display threads for news articles but *not*
> for mail messages?!

You got it! It is a MS product after all - the old "Do as we say, not as we
do" when it comes to standards and consistency.

OE seperates it's e-mail functionality from it's NNTP functionality but
presents it within the same program. The display of folders is the same as
Thunderbird's (seperate trees for each NNTP account and one for the mail)
but the display of headers is handled differently. Probably uses the same
code for displaying the message bodies though (maybe).

If you think OE is bad then you'll love MS's preferred "mail client" - it
can't even do NNTP! And they get people to actually buy it!

Joel