[plug] Productivity

Carl Gherardi cgherardi at iprimus.com.au
Fri Sep 10 20:48:14 WST 2004

On 08/09/2004, at 1:18 PM, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> Rennie wrote:
>
>> Sounds very interesting. Could you please give us a quick summary of
>> what's going on - to save us the trouble of reading the hundreds of
>> emails - with this fascinating topic.

I'll give this a go because i've been following the discussion with
some interest. Disclaimer:This is my take on things not what is
actually happening. This is a very long thread 2000+ emails so i'm
going to miss plenty(and I dont claim to have read or understood all of
them)

The linux kernel has a virtual file system layer, which defines what
operations a filesystem can provide(write, read, link unlink etc) if it
chooses to and its up to the filesystem on the implementation and
whether it will support it.(eg. vfs defines write, but a cd filesystem
has no need of it)

Reiser4 implements file operations that are not part of the vfs, and as
such cant be implemented by other filesystems. The classic example of
this is all files in reiser4 are also directories. Reiser4 has a plugin
mechanism, which can completely change the way a file operates on a
file by file basis. One could for example cd into a .tar.gz file(a file
is a directory remember) using a reiser4 plugin, and possibly run
make(!). Changing posix semantics for files was always going to be a
flame war...

The files-are-directories semantics also cause difficult to solve
locking issues(see http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3749 for a technical
description) There was an interesting mail on the list today about the
difficulties in detecting loops in graphs also written by Al Viro

Theres been a lot of stuff about file streams, a revelation that
copying a MS Word document to an ftp site and back down again loses
some meta infomation, lots of people i've never seen post before
arguing and generally a lot of bad blood flowing between several
people. Somewhere in there there was also some reasonable technical
discussions going on about kernel supported interfaces for meta
information.

I found the lwn kernel article from last(week before?) on Reiser4
pretty good aswell. That should be available to non-subscribers now.

For audiophiles out there Ingo Molnar has been doing a lot of work in
reducing latencies in 2.6, and has most of the audio community happy
now.

Cheers

Carl