[plug] Re: mail-list vs news

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 11 10:16:31 WST 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 10:43, Michael Holland wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > It's far easier going through 100 messages a day in a newsgroup than
> > in email if you are using a decent newsreader.

> Whats the difference? Except slower response if using a remote
> server.  E-mails and usenet articles use the same format, same
> kind of references (so can be threaded the same), and are commonly
> read using the same software.

You only have to download articles which you find "interesting".

Typically, newsreaders don't care if you don't read an article. If
you don't look at something, it simply drops off the universe after
a while.

> If anyone would prefer to read a mail-list as a newsgroup, you
> could install inn and use the mailpost(8) program in your
> .procmailrc or eqiv.  I havn't tried, but it looks simple enough.
> Is there an easy better way?

News.

Feeding a mailing list into a newsreader still means that you're
"downloading" all the articles. With NN[TR]P, you can decide, based
on the header, which article bodies are downloaded.