[plug] Re: mail-list vs news

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Sep 11 13:35:34 WST 2004

In message <1094876125.10641.7.camel at rattus.Localdomain>
on Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 12:15:25PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> I like to scan the text of every email: newsgroups dont allow that to
> happen easily

No one's proposing that the e-mail list would be replaced by a newsgroup
are they?? (Also, I'm not really sure that there's a problem here: don't
people with offline readers slurp all the message bodies anyway?)

> I like to keep email around, not have it dissappear at some undefined
> point a couple of days later

If you were reading from a newsgroup, you would save messages that you
wanted to save, and not save messages that you didn't want to save. If
you want to save all messages, then that's fine too. Also, I think the
issue of whether we'd have messages disappear is debatable.

> Too much spam, crap, irrelevance and just plain bad manners, as well
> as not fitting the way I like to read my information.

I think you're thinking of USENET. I had thought we'd previously been
thinking of a PLUG news server rather than USENET, but I don't know
what everyone else was really thinking.