[plug] Re: mail-list vs news

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Sep 11 13:41:01 WST 2004

In message <Pine.LNX.4.58.0409111233280.6313 at ob.localnet>
on Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 12:37:27PM +0800, Michael Holland wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > You only have to download articles which you find "interesting".
> I don't think that's an issue for many people any more.

Really?? So everyone on this list is comfortable with the volume of mail
received? No one uses dialups any more? No one has a mail account with
a size quota? No one gets irritated by their mailboxes filling with
threads that they'd rather have killed? Newsreaders tend to be good
at scoring and filtering.

> But if you do have bandwidth problems, e.g. using GSM-data, you can
> acheive the same thing with e-mail using IMAP.

Fair enough.