[plug] Video camera newbie

Rob Davies rob at rjdarts.com
Mon Sep 13 07:56:36 WST 2004

On 12 Sep 2004, at 12:51pm, Carl Gherardi wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I managed to get my brother running linux - and hes been happy with it
> for 6 months now, but he now wants to grab and edit video from a
> digital video camera. "i've got this (windows) software here, how do i
> install it?"
>
> What is the general process for getting digital video via usb?

USB or USB2 is totally useless for video capture it will drop frames
even if you manage to get it to work. This means finding a camera with
a USB port which for video I doubt you will find, still capture is USB
even from a video camera, but video is definitely FIREWIRE / IEEE1394.

> Most of the stuff i'm finding on the web is - get firewire working,
> use dvgrab, open kino/cinelerra. I'm using usb so i'm a little lost.

I would recommend cinelerra for which Slackware has ports that are
native, but if you are a relative newbie to video or linux it could be
a severe learning curve. On the bright side their is a large video
community whom use linux hence, information scattered over WWW and
newsgroups / mailing lists. Remember google is your friend!

> I've used usb mass storage devices previously, but the camera doesn't
> appear to act like one.

And you won't, see above!

> If I need to get a firewire card I will, but i'd like to avoid it if
> possible.

As suggested by Skribe, spend the money, not sure of which one to
recommend, but I am sure their are others on the list whom would know.

Cheers!
Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com

"It is the world which makes known to us our belonging to a
subject-communtiy, especially the existence in the world of the
manufactured objects." Sartre.